Microsoft’s open source, robust video player framework for Windows 8, HTML5, Silverlight, Windows Phone and other application platforms has hit a v 1.0 milestone. This is part of Microsoft’s Media Platform. Its a great achievement by the team(s) working behind the scene to make it happen. You can download the latest sdk here.
It is also a great opportunity for the developers to leverage this great player framework that enables following (non exhaustive list of) scenarios:-
- Adaptive streaming and advanced playback heuristics via the IIS Smooth Streaming Client SDK for Windows 8
- Closed captioning support via SMPTE-TT and TTML
- Advertising standards support including VAST, MAST, and VPAID
- Advanced DVR-style playback
- Robust skinning and styling
- Ability to move control panel or individual elements outside media player. more info…
- New Entertainment app theme for out of the box support for Windows 8 Entertainment app guidelines.more info..
To learn more about Player Framework visit: http://playerframework.codeplex.com/